Sponsored by The Irregardless Cafe – a local Raleigh restaurant founded in 1975 – the Garden is dedicated to reconnecting folks to the source of their nourishment: plants chickens & bees, soil, air, water and friendship.
The Well Fed Garden is one example of urban agriculture – 20% of its bounty is donated to volunteers and neighbors and the remaining 80% is served in meals at the Cafe or its Catering Division. Located just 3 miles from the Cafe, this 1.5 acre plot at 1321 Athens Drive grows delicious seasonal vegetables, fruits & berries, herbs, mushrooms and flowers all organically.
Organic and permaculture farming practices are used to cultivate spring, summer and fall crops each year. The ‘season extension’ tunnels grow hydroponic and leaf lettuce during the winter. To increase yields of produce, cover crops, mulches, compost (from the Cafe’s kitchen vegetable discards) and mineral supplements are employed to build healthy soil. No chemical fertilizers nor pesticides are used, however organic pest control methods are practiced, like crop rotation, beneficial insects and micro-organisms and companion plantings.
‘Enter the Garden’ and discover an amazing world that transforms a tiny seed into an Okra or Brussels Sprout. Connect with the soil full of millions of life forms – that are ‘fixing’ nitrogen from the air and symbiotically sustaining the plants. Breath the air, feel the wind and drink pure water from the Garden’s ‘Well’.
We are offering you many different ways to ‘Enter theGarden’ by volunteering, attending a workshop or farm dinner, painting or yoga – you are welcome to experience the garden!